National Science & Technology Management Information System (NSTMIS)


HIGHLIGHTS

INDUSTRIAL SECTOR

  • Industrial sector accounted for 26.7% of the total national expenditure on R&D activities during the year 1998-99
  • The total R&D investment by industrial sector attained a level of Rs.3441.42 crores at current prices during 1998-99 and out of this 81% was invested by private sector and the rest 19% by public sector.
  • Industry spent 0.22% of GNP on R&D during 1998-99.
  • The industrial units spent about 0.52% of their sales turnover on R&D in 1998-99. For private and public sector separately these figures were 0.70% and 0.29% respectively.
  • 13.8% of total industrial sector R&D units which belonged to Biotechnology and Drugs and Pharmaceuticals groups accounted for 35.6% of the total industrial sector investment on R&D during 1998-99.
  • Per Unit R&D expenditure for industrial sector, private sector and public sector industries was Rs.2.52 crores, Rs.2.31 crores and Rs.4.07 crores respectively during 1998-99.
  • 23.4% of total industrial sector R&D expenditure was spent on the objective Development of Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing during 1998-99.
  • As on 1st April, 1998, 69502 personnel were employed in 1304 industrial sector R&D units which was 22.5% of national total. Out of the total 34973 R&D personnel directly engaged in R&D activities in industry 74% were employed in private sector and rest 26% were employed in public sector.
  • For every 1000 R&D employees in industrial sector, 97 were female R&D employees.
  • Of every 100 personnel employed in industrial sector R&D units 51 were primarily engaged in R&D, 30 extended technical support and 19 provided administrative support.

PRIVATE SECTOR

  • As on September, 1998, 89.9% of in-house R&D units of private sector came into existence during and subsequent to Fourth Five Year Plan (1969-74)
  • Investment on R&D by private sector R&D units attained a level of Rs.2790.41 crores in 1998-99 which was 14.4% more than the investment on R&D of previous year.
  • Private sector R&D expenditure constitutes 21.6% of total investment in R&D at national level and it was 0.18% of GNP during 1998-99.
  • Percentage share of R&D expenditure, advertising expenditure and new plant and machinery expenditure in sales turnover was 0.70%, 0.73% and 4.27% respectively in 1998-99.
  • The industry groups Biotechnology , Drugs and Pharmaceutical, Electricals and Electronics, Chemicals (other than Fertilizers), Transportation and Metallurgical industries accounted for 77.2% of total R&D expenditure during 1998-99.
  • 29.4% of total R&D expenditure was utilised for the objectives Development of Health Services during 1998-99.
  • By field of science 32.1% of private sector R&D investment was for Engineering & Technology during 1998-99.
  • 77.4% of total R&D expenditure was accounted for revenue expenditure and rest 22.6% was accounted for capital expenditure during 1998-99.
  • 74.1% of total R&D units were located in the states of Maharashtra, Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh accounting for 86.5% of total R&D expenditure in 1998-99. 33.3% of the total R&D units were located in the State of Maharashtra alone and these units accounted for 51.6% of total R&D expenditure of private sector.
  • More than 25% of private sector in-house R&D units were small scale industries and shared 5.2% of R&D expenditure of private sector in-house R&D units during 1998-99.
  • About 16.3% of total personnel engaged primarily in R&D activities in private sector in-house R&D units were from industry group Drugs and Pharmaceuticals
  • 77.1% of total private sector in-house R&D units were each spending less than or equal to Rs.100 lakhs on R&D during 1998-99. The rest 22.9% of these private sector in-house R&D units each spending more than one crore on R&D shared 89.2% of total private sector R&D investment.
  • As on 1st April, 1998, 50,235 personnel were employed in private sector R&D units. Out of these, 51% were engaged primarily on R&D activities. The share of private sector R&D personnel in the total R&D personnel at the national level worked out to be about 26.9%.
  • For every 1000 R&D employees in private sector 101 were women.

PUBLIC SECTOR

  • Public Sector R&D expenditure attained a level of Rs. 651.01 crores at current prices in 1998-99 which was 20.7% more than the R&D expenditure of 1997-98.
  • The ratio of R&D expenditure to sales turnover was estimated at 0.29% in 1998-99.
  • 33.8% of total public sector R&D units under Defence, Fuels, Metallurgical and Telecommunications industries groups have spent 77.8% of total public sector R&D expenditure during 1998-99.
  • 91.8% of the total public sector R&D expenditure was shared by public sector industries under nine Ministries/ Departments viz., Defence Production and Supplies, Petroleum & Natural Gas, Telecommunications, Steel, Heavy Industry, Chemicals & Petrochemicals, Mines, Electronics and Atomic Energy during 1998-99.
  • 83.9% of total public sector R&D expenditure was utilised for the objectives Defence, Promotion of Industrial Development, Production, Conservation and distribution of energy and Development of Transport & Communication during 1998-99.
  • 34.4% of total public sector R&D units located in the States of Karnataka, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh accounted for 72.3% of total Public Sector R&D expenditure during 1998-99.
  • As on 1st April, 1998, 19,267 personnel were employed in Public Sector R&D units. Out of this 48% were engaged primarily on R&D, 33% were employed on auxiliary activities and 19% were providing administrative support.
  • Out of every 1000 R&D employees in public sector, 87 were women R&D employees.
  • 66.8% of total R&D personnel were employed in Fuels, Defence, Telecommunications and Electricals & Electronics equipment Industries groups